Blaby site

Monday, 20-Aug-2018
Home>Who Can Use the Service

Who Can Use the Service


Anyone who has been accepted onto Blaby Home search’s Housing Register is able to use the service. To apply to join the Housing Register you must be over 16 years of age.

You will need to complete an application form, which can be obtained from the Housing Options Team at the Council offices, Blaby Joint Service Shop, Braunstone Civic Centre or downloaded from this website. The application form enables you to apply for a Housing Association for rent or shared ownership. For details on how to contact us and our opening hours click How to Contact Us or click application form to download a form.
Along with your application form you will be asked to provide the following documents:

  • Proof of identity for all household members (e.g. passports, birth certificates)
  • Proof of current address (e.g. recent gas or electricity bill)
  • Evidence of your right to reside in the UK if you are not a British Citizen
    (e.g. passport and other relevant documents from the Home Office)

Before you are offered a property you will be asked to provide further documents to support your application. You will be advised of the documents to provide and when to provide them.

All documents provided must be originals, up to date and valid. .

If you do not fill in the application form properly it will be returned to you.

If you do not provide us with the documents required your application may be accepted onto the housing register but will not be awarded any priority. Once the documents are received your application will be assessed and placed in the appropriate band from the date the documents were received. Click Prioritising Applications for more details on our banding scheme.

Who cannot use the service?

You cannot use this service if you have not completed an application form and been accepted onto the housing register.

There are also some people who will not by law be eligible to join the housing register. These are:

  • Certain people who are subject to Immigration Control under the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act
  • Certain people from abroad who are not subject to immigration control but who are not habitually resident in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland
  • People (including members of their household) who have been guilty of unacceptable behaviour that makes them unsuitable to be a tenant.

For more information contact the Housing Options Team or download a copy of the Leicestershire Choice Based Lettings Allocations Policy from the Blaby website

Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy